This one-day lettering workshop is designed for the beginning and seasoned graphic recorder or meeting facilitator looking to improve their lettering skills and increase competence when working live at the wall. Participants will experience a series of hands-on, deep-dive lettering activities that will boost self-confidence and expand their lettering practice. While there will be a lot of information shared, participants will receive several resources to grow their practice as well as have time to explore each of the techniques presented.
Participants will quickly build from a foundation of letter forms using Neuland markers and other tools to take their work to the next level.
- Exploring 4 different marker tips: best-suited lettering styles and uses — Demos and exemplars will be provided for each participant
- Lettering hierarchy and chart titles: How to plan a chart layout and a simple set of rules when you don’t have time to
- Guided visualization: recognize and resource any triggers or concerns when working live in front of an audience
- Lettering tradecraft: replicate any lettering style by learning the tools and techniques
Pictured above left: exemplars on practice paper using Neuland's ArtMarker, BigOne and NoOne markers. Middle: a participant's view of brushlettering instruction. Photo by Sam Bradd. Right: Handouts with lettering styles, practical tips and hacks.
Please bring the following:
- Sketchbook and favorite markers to practice with and to take notes.
- Benchmarks: samples of work you like and would like to learn how they were created.
- Favorite word or short quote (3-7 words).
- Lunch and snacks.
We will work both on desktop and large at the wall. Paper and “community” markers will be provided. You are also welcome to bring your own markers and supplies. If interest and time permits digitization of lettering, exploration into calligraphy and sign painting techniques, and monetizing your lettering skills can be covered.
Lefties are welcome!
Space is limited, please RSVP!
Event Date and Time:
Tuesday, June 20, 2017 - 10:00am
UCSanta Cruz Silicon Valley Campus
3175 Bowers Ave
Santa Clara, CA 95054-3225United States