Need something to do this summer? Don't just take notes, visualize them. Join us for this four day doodle day camp, an introductory graphic recording and sketch-noting experience for adults and teens. Visual notes help us capture and remember key points in a visually pleasing way. It's tons of fun and a wonderful life skill. Children ages 8 through 12 are welcome with their parents who are taking the program.
"Learning how to take visual notes for my classes not only helped me stay engaged during long lectures, it also helped me remember what I learned much longer." - Lauren Green, instructor and long-time student of life
Graphic recording and sketch-noting is a fun way to learn through writing down what you hear with both words and pictures. During this day camp, we will practice drawing, lettering and listening. We will have fun, while learning a skill that can help us in high school, college, and those long Zoom meetings. This is also a wonderful class for facilitators looking to improve their chart craft and for teachers who would like to add a touch of flair to their lesson plans. While the camp is online, you will be working with paper and markers. We will teach using video and then you'll have the chance to practice the skills in your notebooks and up at the wall.
While this class is geared for teens and adults, we know that everyone is at home together and needs things to do to make the long summer days more manageable. For that reason, children ages 8 through 12 are welcome to join, with their parents taking the course, at no additional cost. Because we cannot be responsible for supervision, it's important that parents participate in the full camp with their children. Dancing with Markers will not be providing care or supervision during this camp.
Monday, June 22 - Thursday, June 25
1-3 PM Eastern, Daily
- Day 1: Background, tools, and basic drawing skills
- Day 2: Level up your drawing and graphic jam practice
- Day 3: Basic lettering, listening tips, and your first live scribing experience
- Day 4: Working with layouts, more practice and resources for learning more
DEADLINE TO REGISTER: Friday, June 19, 2020
$500/participant ages 13 through adult
What You'll Need:
- Zoom Online Video Platform: Download on your favorite device for video conferences: www.zoom.us/download. Link to regisister for the Zoom login information will be included with your ticket.
- Wall space: Find a wall space large enough for you and your “co-workers” to work on. Walls should be clear of pictures and thumbtacks and avoid ridges and textures. Be sure the space you choose is conducive to being on a webinar; consider where you will put your webinar device.
- Sketchbook: Have a notebook nearby where you can take some hand-written notes. We prefer unlined sketchbooks, such as this one: https://amzn.to/2zeZPfy
- Pens: Have a pen or two for taking notes with. We love sharpie pens for sketch-noting. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001B66DXU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- Paper: Flipcharts will work great. You’ll want to have at least 10 for each participant. We recommend the “super sticky” kind. https://www.amazon.com/Post-Sticky-Premium-Sticking-559/dp/B00006IA9F. If you have bond paper at home, bring your roll. We will demonstrate how to hang your charts. If you’d like to purchase bond paper, here is a source: https://www.plazaart.com/tara-20lb-banner-bond-roll-48in-x-25yd
- Markers: Non-bleed flipchart markers will work for this. Avoid permanent markers. If you’re using your kids’ markers, be sure they are not dried out and will not bleed. Test them out. If they do bleed – hang more paper to protect your walls. The Grove Charter markers are a great starter kit for new graphic recorders. https://grovetools-inc.com/products/charters-markers-set-of-8-assorted-colors
If you’re hanging paper, you will also need:
- White, 1” artist tape – the only tape we can recommend is safe for your walls - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DVAZT0C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
- A pair of scissors, a razor blade or X-acto knife, for cutting paper (for grown-ups only): https://amzn.to/3c6ONrj
About the Instructor:
As an experienced visual facilitator, graphic recorder, certified coach and leadership development trainer, Lauren Green believes in the power of visualization to support productive and dynamic group processes and knowledge management. She is recognized for her high-energy and ability to fuel connectivity and engagement. Her deep understanding of group dynamics means that sessions are always designed both to target desired goals and create a safe space for unearthing concerns. Lauren is also a professional dancer and has taught all genres of dance ages 2 through adult.
In the event of an instructor cancellation, all participants will be refunded in full. If the event is rescheduled, participants will have the option to request a refund, only if they cannot attend on the rescheduled date.
The cost of supplies and reports is non-refundable. Refunds on the workshop fees will considered on a case-by-case bases for extenuating circumstances related to work, family or health. If participants need to cancel their attendance within one week of the scheduled event, due to extenuating circumstances related to work, family or health, Dancing with Markers will refund half of the ticket price.